International Organization for Migration
46 Pipeline Road Kairaba Avenue
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Duty Station: Banjul, The Gambia
IOM Classification: NO/A GMD 37,596.17 per month
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN 008/2018
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 2nd August, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Officer and the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the incumbent will coordinate the implementation of the project “Bridging together youth, diaspora and local authorities for an integrated approach to promote employment and address irregular migration in The Gambia, Guinea Conakry and Guinea Bissau” as well as other interventions that aim at supporting the implementation of migrants’ protection and sustainable reintegration of Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement and monitor the activities of national project in accordance with the assigned budget, the work plan, the M&E plan and in compliance with internal administrative processes.
- Coordinate tasks of the project assistants and project’s consultants.
- Monitor financial reports and incurred expenditures in SAP (PRISM) and conduct cost reviews to inform identified shortfalls in delivery and budget overruns, in timely manner.
- Prepare financial and narrative reports for the donor and other required IOM internal reports.
- Anticipate and report any problems that arise or may arise from the implementation of the project and propose respective actions.
- Communicate and liaise with relevant national stakeholders, private sectors and project partners related to the project and maintain productive and collaborative working relationships.
- Work with relevant government stakeholders on labour market gaps and suggest interventions that will strengthen capacities of targeted youth to support their livelihood in the context of assigned project/programme.
- Develop and deliver trainings on “migration and development” and “diaspora resource management” for government officers and related events.
- Participate in the identification of alternative employment opportunity strategies for youths and implementation modalities in close collaboration with the government representatives at national and local levels, diaspora actors, beneficiary communities, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Identify vocational and technical trainings needs for youths with relevant government officers and other NGOs; maintain partnership with local actors, Government actors, private stakeholders, diaspora communities, UN and I/NGOs partners on employment.
- Coordinate Gambian diaspora mapping with corresponding IOM offices and support the implementation of community-based projects according to identified local needs and existing competences.
- Coordinate proper documentation and reporting of the livelihood support and reintegration projects’ activities carried out, record all supportive documents for the projects in the database and draft donor report concerning all project activities, as well as required documents for internal/external audit purpose.
- Promote and facilitate the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, childhood, and other vulnerable groups in the project, are considered in the activities.
- Utilize lessons learned from past activities, experiences from other countries, communities, and beneficiaries feedback to revise action plans accordingly.
- Ensure quality of project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identify inconsistencies.
- Draft periodic reporting, briefing notes, visibility products and project factsheets in line with donor visibility requirement and internal guidelines.
- Undertake duty travels as required providing technical guidance to project staff and implementing partners.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Political or Social Science, Development Studies, Business Administration, International Relations.
- At least two years of work experience in community development and/or migration management with non‐governmental organizations, international governmental organizations or government institutions;
- Experience in project management, project formulation and implementation at national and international levels;
- Experience and/or knowledge of labour laws, labour migration, diaspora engagement policies or migration governance;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Experience with International Organizations a considerable advantage;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results;
- Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds, and respect for diversity and gender equality;
- Team work oriented but with a capacity to work independently;
- Computer literate including use of Microsoft Office;
- Excellent command of English;
- Knowledge of migration, labour and trade institutions and processes is a distinct advantage.
- Familiarity with the country context is an asset.
Fluency in English and one of the local languages is required
Knowledge of French is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested Internal and External candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to IOMBANJULREC@IOM.INT indicating position applied on subject line by Thursday 2nd August 2018.
For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for the application as well as a detailed resume/C.V., addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line National Project Officer (LHD) (NO/A)
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note that this position is open only to Gambian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 19.07.2018 to 02.08.2018
CLICK HERE TO APPLY